29.3.10

kokka and echino. . .



OK, here they are - the 4 half meter pieces of fabric that have had me tossing and turning at night. Seriously, what am i going to do with these beauties? I am not a regular user of 'good' fabric so i am a little daunted. I actually washed them today, in preparation for sewing. i know all proper sewers wash their fabric, but i'm not really a proper sewer so this is probably a first for me (except for the time i made a quilt).

julie called me to let me know about a 30% off sale of quilting fabric at a local shop that stocks Kokka and Echino fabrics. If you've never heard of them they are imported from japan and a 50 % linen/cotton blend.

Bea actually picked them out, except for the brown (which she approved of after some thought). Surprisingly she didn't choose the pinkest things (well, they are pretty pink but don't have ballerinas on them or anything) and even picked out the wizard of oz print on the far left. She felt they were 'hers' and carried the little packet of fabric around quite proudly. We arrived home and she took them out and spread them on the table happily chatting to herself about making some skirts. I went outside at this point to get everything else out of the car and had a passing flash of an image of her actually making something out of the precious kokka. Came back inside to see her posed with scissors ready to cut into this $30 per meter crisp cotton/linen. Time stood still. I ran in slow motion, half yelling half moaning 'NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOO!'

Pretty funny huh?

She didn't cut into the fabric at all, but has been hounding me daily about 'her' fabric being 'ready'. As in ready for her to cut? i'm not sure. but i have carefully kept it out of sight just in case. . .

4 comments:

  1. That is beautiful fabric! Sounds like you got there just in time, Bea might have had her own ideas about some good things to create! I'm sure you'll put it to very good use, don't rush in...

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh! i love the pink one with the teal peacock. and the wizard of oz one. and the brown one. and i really love the one with the russian dolls. yep, i like'em all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dont think you appreciate Bea's avant guard "Destroyed Beauty" concepts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well which fabric to I love the best - hard! I really think they are all gorgeous - but the Russian dolls - wow! Bea so glad you were caught in the nick!
    Bus I wish to talk of the bunny baskets! I just love love love them! A lovely Christmas present - who cares about the season - well some do but these baskets are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete