27.10.09

Meet Me at Mikes, My Place and Yours: Bedsides


When I heard that the Meet Me at Mikes My Place and Yours meme theme this week was “bedside” I really wanted to participate as i had a lot to say about my two bedsides. . .

You see, we have an almost-three-year-old. And that almost-three-year-old used to be a baby, who became very used to sleeping amongst parent-folk. She is wonderful and sweet and cute and funny. We love her to bits of course, and have never been ones to force things upon her. So I still spend quite a lot of time ensconced in her bed. I do like it there, I must admit. Her sweetness and softness is so nice especially as I don’t see her much in the day as a full-time Monday to Friday type worker. I try to start in the adult man and wife bed, but inevitably find myself waking up with BB each morning. Then sometimes we go and visit the daddy in the big bed but mainly we let him sleep in because he stays up very late late late lately, studying.

Accordingly, I have included a range of bedside photos.



this is BB’s. She likes fairly lights, her teddy bear named Curry (her favourite food) and lots of pillows. the posters at the head are from Frankie magazine and the play dough poster with recipe was hand drawn by a friend’s father, who used to run a day-care centre sometime in the 80s. i really like that poster.




BB likes her bedtime reading nearly every night in this order – A Lion in the Night (bought in a Pamela Allen pack from the post office), Santa’s Aussie Holiday (a gift from our friends Julie and Simon), and the Quilt Makers Gift (given to BB by my mum on a recent trip to Canada). I don’t think she has ever made it to the end of the Quilt Makers Gift (too sleepy), but one game she loves to play is Quilt Maker with scraps of fabric I give her to use. oh and i sometimes read in this bed too, in this case Alexander McCall Smith's 'the Careful Use of Compliments'.

hanging on the bedframe are some mardi gras beads from my mum. we also use a lot of Tiger Balm on her mosquito bites and recently a lot of lanolin on her face as she had a cold and was getting chapped cheeks and nose from wiping it all the time.




my other bedside is not quite so nice. in fact when compared to BB's, it is downright horrible looking! i should fix that. brett thinks perhaps a nice chair might do the trick and also i could put my discarded clothes on it instead of the floor. i am a chronic leaver of clothing on the floor! It drives brett batty. he is quite tidy and puts his away all the time. the guitar is not quality and sounds very tinny. it doesn’t get played all that much. i would like a nice one sometime.

whew! turns out you can tell quite a lot by people’s bedsides. this is exactly the kind of voyeuristic activity i enjoy! my mum and i both love walking at night and ahem, looking in other people’s windows. not at all in a creepy way, don’t worry – it’s all very innocent curiosity, promise.



thanks for having a look at our place, and letting me have a peep at yours!

3 comments:

  1. Oh wow! You played! Yay! Those rose-coloured bedside photos are a special peek into your life! I love the playdough poster a lot. It makes me want to make a batch of that warm playdough today, even though there is no one home to play with it. Thanks for showing us your besides! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. BB's room looks so comfy I can't blame your for waking up there most mornings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is such a relief to know that other parents are still sleeping with thier three year olds! Our little one was doing so well on his own until recently, now it seems he's regressed & I wake up in his bed every day. You're right, though, that sweet smell is delightful & I don't really mind being there - until he wakes up & wants breaky & everyone to play at 5am!

    ReplyDelete