23.12.09

stocking stuffing

I’ve been feeling a bit guilty because I’m not hugely into Christmas – I do really like the gathering with people and eating of yummy things, but I think it will be a while until a Christmas tree makes it appearance chez nous. Outdoor lights probably will never make an appearance. Lucky for us, we have a mother in law here who loves her Christmas season (being born on Christmas day, perhaps has been imprinted from birth!) and when we do go to Canada for Christmas, I will have my mother to lavish all the excitement on the grandkids.

For me, a Canadian in Australia, Christmas sweltering in the heat just doesn’t feel right – probably this helps keep homesickness at bay. Can’t wait to have a white Christmas in Canada someday and neither can bea! She really would like to wear a snowsuit, she says.

This year I have tried to step it up as bea is at an age where she is really quite excited about the whole thing – mainly the idea that she has to leave some milk and cookies out for santa, and a carrot for his reindeer. We’ve been reading Christmas stories and I made her this quilted stocking for a few goodies from Santa.



Something i am liking this year are Christmas stories. These are our favourite Christmas stories at the moment:




This fun book was given to Bea a couple years ago by julie and simon. the rhymes are really well done and it is nice to read a christmas book that isn't about the north pole and all things non-Australian summer-ish!

The Polar Express was my favourite book when i was little. The copy we have used to be mine so that makes the book extra special. Chris Van Allsburg writes amazing stories and i like that the illustrations are all a little dark and kind of mysterious.

No comments:

Post a Comment