7.11.09

:: Meet Me at Mikes :: My Place and Yours - 'Secret Weapon Du Jour'


when i spied that this weeks
Meet Me at Mikes, My Place and Yours meme theme was 'Secret Weapon' by My Bricole my first thought was that i might have trouble coming up with something post-worthy.

could i really be that interesting?

this poor old thought was luckily closely followed with a flood of potential secret weapons, all created equal, all suited to different scenarios. i wondered, could i do a post about a myriad of secret weapons or would that be greedy? showy even. hmmm. i decided to postpone posting until i could come to a better conclusion.

fast forward to now, and having had the day to think about it i think my daughter is my biggest cure-all secret weapon but that each little area of my life has its own to boot. knitpiks harmony circular for knitting two socks on one needle, rotary cutter, the Joy of Cooking book, or my most dangly gold earrings - to name just a few.

so, i have decided to go with an object that was my secret weapon du jour. i have had a sort of un-fun week at work. we all have those kinds of weeks or longer - luckily for me this week my little secret weapon was around, sitting cheerfully on my desk.




i found this little soup bowl in the back of a kitchen cupboard in the office. i kept my eye on it for several months, and when it became apparent that no one ever used it, i kidnapped it and brought it to live at my desk. it gets quite a lot of attention from me - i like to put soup in it and i think that this bowl enjoys fulfilling the purpose for which it was made.

the quaint scene on it i imagine involves making a chicken and barley soup of sorts. this reminds me of home and family. especially my grandparents who very much enjoyed a lunch of barley soup and crackers. although this object on my desk is just a thing, it elicits a complex range of thoughts, memories and happy feelings - a soothing tincture during a long day at work.

i like it when material objects take on meaning, further than just their beauty. there was a book my mum read to me when i was little called The Velveteen Rabbit that explains this phenomenon very sweetly.

thanks for visiting my place and letting me have a peep into yours!

4 comments:

  1. What a great mug. It's so cute that you had to stalk it for a bit before you claimed it. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love this mug! please do tell us though, what soup goes in it the most?
    i have a tea and reading mug that gets used when reading too, makes the activity all the more special!
    thanks for sharing
    x sara

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have my Cat mug which is the only one I use. A present from my kids. It's nice to have a special something for our food.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUM miso! my favourite.
    thanks for your kind comments about my holga shots too. the pool one did turn out rather nicely huh?! the luck of the draw!
    have a lovely day! xo

    ReplyDelete